Lemon Laced Rice
1 cup white basmati rice (rinsed)
2 Tsp sunflower oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds – black or brown
10-12 curry leaves – fresh are best. Available at most green-grocers and some supermarkets
2 Tbsp cashew nuts
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 cups hot water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional)
1. Heat a pan over a medium heat and then add the oil. When hot, but not smoking, add the mustard seeds, followed by the curry leaves and cashew nuts.
2. Stir and add turmeric, quickly followed by the rice and salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute and them add the water and lemon juice.
3. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes at a fast boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and cook for 8 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 6 minutes.
6. Add the lemon zest if using, and use a fork to mix it through
7. Serve immediately